[c-nsp] 10GBase-T (was: new 8-port 10 G bade)

Marian Durkovic md at bts.sk
Fri Sep 29 03:23:53 EDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 06:13:59PM +0200, Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists wrote:
> > Looks like the 8-port 10G module uses X2 optics, there was me
> > hoping Cisco would jump on the XFP bandwagon.
>
> They will not do that for LAN modules, because the enterprise
> customers need LX4 (10G over multimode). They do use XFP on the
> SPAs.

Well - LX4 is nice, but X2 form factor has serious limitations for power
dissipation (4 Watts) compared to XENPAK (10 Watts). The current ZR
and DWDM XENPAKs are somewhere around 9 Watts, which is nowhere near
X2 possibilities. As we require those type of transceivers, X2 is
definitely a showstopper - and SPAs with a port density of one 10GE port
per slot is no solution either.

	With kind regards,

		M.

----   Marian Durkovic                       network  manager         ----