[c-nsp] 2651xm performance experience

christopher.a.kane at jpmchase.com christopher.a.kane at jpmchase.com
Fri Sep 29 11:17:53 EDT 2006

> I have a pair of 2651xm which are running high CPU at ~10 min intervals.
The
> CPU runs up to about 90% for ~90 seconds then recovers.  The bandwidth
being
> consumed when this happens is less then 700 kbps total through the
router.
> I believe the 2651xm is rated at 20 mbps, when there are no fancy
> configurations/features etc.  Both routers are currently running 12.4
latest
> releast, base IP image.

have you tried to analyze the output of a sh proc cpu or maybe sh proc
mem?

> I know the traffic flow which occurs when the CPU runs up, and that flow
is
> normal expected traffic, as noted only consuming ~700 kbps.  The 2651xm
have
> performed well for me in the past as a simple LAN router, routing
between
> two fast-e networks, and we definitely got alot more then 700kbps,
typically
> around 15 Mbps, w/o any issues.
>
> Each 2651xm is configured with 4 pt-pt T1 links and a single fast-e link
> a LAN.  The routing protocol is EIGRP. There is a QOS policy which
matches
> some VOIP traffic and assigns it to a priority queue which reserves 50%
of
> the interface bandwidth, everythig else is fair-queue.  There are no
special
> features enabled on the router, no NAT, no interface access-groups, no
> policy-routing, very simple configuration.
>
> I've tried using MLPP for the 4x T1 and I've also tried this with each
T1
> being in it's own /30.  In both scenarios, traffic is being balanced
well
> across the T1's in both directions.  High CPU happens with MLPP or each
T1
> having it's own /30.  Each T1 is performing fairly well, other then
slightly
> high latency (no jitter however) they take the same physical transport
path.

> As best as I can tell, the router isn't doing any IP fragmentation or
> generating/processing alot of ICMP traffic.  IP Cef is enabled.
>
> I've tried downgrading to 12.3 latest release, same CPU consumption.
>
> Can anyone provide any insight to why this might be happening?
> Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this further?

under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  Although this transmission and
any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other
defect that might affect any computer system into which it is
received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to
ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as
applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
If you received this transmission in error, please immediately
contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,