[c-nsp] DDNS and IPv6

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Mon Apr 2 11:35:59 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Aaron Daubman wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I haven't been able to find any info on CCO, so I'm assuming the use
> of DDNS with IPv6 (e.g. ipv6 ddns update) is not currently supported.
> Does anybody have information on planned/future support?
>
> I'm looking to be able to update DNS entries for an interface that was
> assigned a v6 address either by SLAC or DHCPv6.

Hi,

What you are looking for?
1. A certain host is updating DNS entry in your DNS server?
2. A certain ipv6 address is registered in a dyndns like service?

In case of 1. your host operating system has to dynamic DNS update for
IPv6 addresses. Out of the box only the Windows XP and Windows Vista
supports such an operation. For others Linux/Unix/FreeBSD you should write
a script for nsupdate program that do the update.

In case of 2 you can use www.6nds.org or dyndns.org expert interface.

Regards,
 	Janos Mohacsi