[c-nsp] SNMP question

Mon Apr 2 13:17:06 EDT 2007

Can anyone answer this question from a college of mine?

"Afternoon all. Does anyone know anything about the minimum poll period
for an OID on a Cisco box? For example, I'm polling a 6500 for the in
and out octets for a layer 2 interface and I periodically get a response
of 0. Even with a period of 5 seconds this still happens. I know that
this isn't a true reading of the in/out octets as the port connects to a
market-data firewall which is continuously streaming market -data.

Presumably it's a function of the H/W platform and/or the OS but I've
never been able to find any documentation on this. If anyone can shed
any light on this - oh so fascinating subject - I would be most grateful."

Thanks,

Sam