[c-nsp] Layer 3 Core

Stephen Backholm Stephen.Backholm at wwu.edu
Thu Apr 5 12:38:03 EDT 2007

Currently where I work we run a complete Layer 3 network core. This
decision was made in order to keep Spanning Tree Protocol, ACls, QoS,
and Policing out of the core and at the distribution layer. This has
worked well for us, but we have a need for a few of our server VLANs to
be in opposite geographic ends of campus for redundancy. These servers
run as clusters and require Layer 2 connectivity between them, so in
other words we need Layer 2 connectivity across our Layer 3 core.

Here is the question.

Would it be better to solve this problem with MPLS or just trunk the
handful of server VLANs across our core?

Your thoughts and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,
Stephen Backholm