[c-nsp] Layer 3 Core

Shane Amante shane at castlepoint.net
Thu Apr 5 14:58:01 EDT 2007

Another option to consider is, instead of enabling MPLS forwarding over
your core, look at encapsulating Ethernet over MPLS inside L2TPv3.  This
would require you to enable MPLS at the edge(s) of your network, but
still run native IP forwarding in your core.

Overall, I would favor MPLS forwarding or L2TPv3/UDP/IP forwarding of
EoMPLS packets between your locations because you get protection &
restoration in the core, since that is a natural property of IP or MPLS.
  In addition, you gain the benefit of fate-sharing and similar
fail-over times for Layer-3 & Layer-2 connectivity between the two
locations.  One downside of L2TPv3, to keep in mind, is it's not
ubiquitously available in HW on all platforms, (e.g.: 6500/SUP720),
whereas native MPLS is more widely available.

I think if you attempt to stand-up a single VLAN over the core, and you
lose a link in the core, you're out-of-luck.  On the other hand, if you
attempt to set-up diversely 'routed' VLAN(s) over the core, then you
have to consider running STP between locations or start looking at other
more complicated methods to provide protection between both locations.

-shane