[c-nsp] vlan configuration for video system

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Apr 13 11:21:28 EDT 2007

Dan wrote:
> Nick,
>
> The problem is that it really needs to be mobile.  The video devices
> will be moved from room to room buy the users and plugged into wall
> jacks throughout the building.  I have looked into vmps, but those
> switches are out of the price range.  If you have any other suggestions
> please let me know.

I assume you mean the switches that can be a VMPS server are too pricey,
as the switches that can be VMPS client are basically all of them.

There is a software VMPS server:

http://vmps.sourceforge.net/

It works really well, we use it extensively.

Newer cisco switches also support MAC-address fallback for non-802.1x
capable devices, where the MAC is sent to the radius server. Very
similar to VMPS but open standard.

Failing that, there are "campus management" software appliances which
claim to do this across many switches (I presume they trap the
linkup/linkdown and change the port VLAN via SNMP). "Bradford Campus
Manager" springs to mind as one example - we don't use it so I can't say
if it's good or rubbish.

VLAN assignment is a pretty trivial exercise these days.