[c-nsp] ASA AIP - Signature updates from Cisco?

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Mon Apr 16 04:40:48 EDT 2007

After some browsing through the ASA documents, trying to find
information on the automatic signature update, I came across this remark:

"The sensor cannot automatically download service pack and signature
updates from Cisco.com. You must download the service pack and signature
updates from Cisco.com to your FTP or SCP server, and then configure the
sensor to download them from the FTP or SCP server."

Is this true, or outdated? If it is true, why? I do understand there may
be concerns as to the security of the content of the data, but those
could be easily taken care of by MD5/PGP signatures. It pretty much
sucks having to do manual downloads of signatures in order to have the
ASA/AIP download it from the server and install it...

Or is the signature .pkg available somewhere under a "hidden path" on
ftp.cisco.com?

Tnx, -garry