[c-nsp] How to monitor BGP sessions

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Tue Apr 17 11:59:53 EDT 2007

At 11:20 AM 4/17/2007, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I was wondering how you guys monitor your BGP sessions. Do you use
>snmp traps or do you poll the router with a snmp get (if thats posible)?
>I ask this because I want don't want to get notified if one bgp goes
>down. But I would like to know if a important bgp session goes down/flapping.
>
>So I would like to see something like this:
>All bgp sessions: snmp-traps
>Important bgp sessions: snmp-trap & snmp get
>
>My questions is, what do you use for monitoring bgp? And is it
>posible to send a snmp get to a cisco device specifying only one bgp
>session to get the status for that? and what is the MIB for that?

Yes. You can use any SNMP monitoring package. There are hundreds of
commercial and free SNMP management software programs out there.

The MIB is:

1.3.6.1.2.1.15.3.1.2.a.b.c.d

where a.b.c.d is the IP address of your BGP neighbor.

-Robert

Tellurian Networks - Global Hosting Solutions Since 1995
http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin