[c-nsp] 7200 / NPE-G2

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Wed Apr 18 08:41:42 EDT 2007

Just an fyi. Due to some architectural differences you can't
really compare the CPU numbers between previous NPE's to the G2.

While the graph of CPU vs. pps goes up pretty closely inline with
what a G1 will do the G2 will forward close to double the G1 in
packets per second approaching the no drop rate (NDR) the G2 can handle.

We (TAC) have had multiple cases lately where customers upgrade to a
G2 and don't see their CPU drop considerably and they think the box
isn't as good as we said it is. That isn't true because when you go
back and evaluate the NDR's side by side the G2 is much faster.

I was personally involved in those NDR test comparison between the
G1 and G2 and know it's true.

Rodney