[c-nsp] 2960-24TT-L or larger?

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Thu Apr 19 16:56:52 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm planning to deploy a wireless repeater with (4) 90° sectors which will
backhaul over a 100Mbps full duplex link to my head end, where I have
100Mbps to the Internet.

I think realistically, I can expect the repeater to generate about 45-60Mbps
traffic over the backhaul.

I only need L2 functionality at this repeater, as customers connecting to
each sector will be split into unique 802.1q VLANs which will tie back to
the head end L3 device.

I think a WS-C2960-24TT-L will be an adequate switch to tie the sectors and
the backhaul together at the repeater, but I'd be interested in real-world
experience as to whether this switch will start to melt at those bandwidth
levels. Customers will be businesses mainly engaging in typical Internet
traffic (HTTP / FTP / SMTP / POP3 / VoIP). There may need to be some QoS
marking / queuing going on at the switch as well.

I guess the next step up would be the WS-C3560-24TS-S. Like the
WS-C2960-24TT-L it's rated at 6.5 Mpps but unlike the 2960 it has twice the
switching fabric (32 Gbps vs 16 Gbps). Not sure if this really makes any
difference in this application.

Thanks,
Adam