[c-nsp] CPU load on 7206 with 1200 DSL users

Antonio Querubin tony at lava.net
Fri Apr 20 13:56:12 EDT 2007

We're considering moving approximately 1200 DSL and a handful of Frame
Relay users provisioned over 2 DS3s on an aging Redback SMS-500 onto
another router.  One of the devices under consideration is a Cisco 7206
VXR using ATM RBE for the DSL provisioning.  The 7206 VXR currently has a
NPE-300 which we might need to upgrade if we use it for this purpose.

I'm interested in the CPU average and peak loads I can expect with
approximately that number of users in that configuration or with other
still-supported NPEs.  We also poll all our devices every 5 minutes via
SNMP for bandwidth usage data so that can drive the CPU load up a notch.
Each end-site would be provisioned on a separate subnet/interface with
uRPF enabled.

Antonio Querubin
whois:  AQ7-ARIN