[c-nsp] IS-IS or OSPF as IGP?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Apr 24 03:44:18 EDT 2007

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Bruce Pinsky wrote:

> With cisco, many new features are introduced in IS-IS first.  OSPF
> generally lags behind. Some that come to mind are prefix prioritization,
> advertise passive-only (to easily advertise only loopbacks and exclude
> connecteds), IS-IS Keychaining, IS-IS fast flood, IS-IS Caching of
> Redistributed Routes, LSA (LSP) throttling, and SPF throttling.

I've heard claims that it was expressed by Cisco people in a Networkers
session that OSPF would get features first, which was denied by our Cisco
SE.

One feature comes to mind that was implemented in OSPF first, and that is
"ldp synchronization" for OSPF which is in 12.0(32)S but won't be for ISIS
until 12.0(33)S. It's on 32SY though.

Since most larger networks run ISIS I have a hard time imagining Cisco
abandoning it...

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se