[c-nsp] GRE tunnel on GSR

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Apr 24 10:05:15 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 09:37:20AM -0400, J. Oquendo wrote:
> > box 1
> > interface Tunnel0
> > ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.252
> > tunnel source 10.2.2.1
> > tunnel destination 10.3.3.1
> > !
> > interface FastEthernet2/0
> > ip address 10.2.2.1 255.255.255.0
> >
> > box 2
> > interface Tunnel0
> > ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.252
> > tunnel source 10.3.3.1
> > tunnel destination 10.2.2.1
> > !
> > interface FastEthernet2/0
> > ip address 10.3.3.1 255.255.255.0
>
> Tunnels need to both be on the same network (10.2.x.x != 10.3.x.x)

Please don't spread incorrect lore.  People do read this mailing list's
archives, and try to learn from it.

There is nothing wrong with the tunnel configuration above - and of
course the tunnels do *NOT* need to be "on the same network" (whatever
that might be).  The "ip address", if used, must match - and the
"tunnel source" and "tunnel destination" need to be symmetric and
rechable.

There is no need to set "tunnel mode" either - default is GRE, and this
will not be displayed in the running config anyway.

The problem is quite likely the lack of a tunnel server LC, as others
have already pointed out.

[..]
> Tunnels need to both be on the same network (10.2.x.x != 10.3.x.x) Anyhow,
> did it on the same network and it works fine for me. So here is a test
> set-up retried and verified... Check your debug output...
>
> LAB_A#ping 10.20.30.211

I'm not *exactly* sure what you're trying to demonstrate - but you have
set up an IPSEC tunnel, which is a just so slightly different than GRE.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de