[c-nsp] Connecting aux to console

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Mon Apr 30 23:38:03 EDT 2007

Josh wrote:
> I saw a post here awhile back about connecting the aux
> port to console port to avoid using a term server, but
> cannot find it now.
>
> Based on the docs that I can find, it looks like I
> should be using a rollover cable (got that), configure
> the aux port (8N1, no flow control, 9600, modem
> inout(?) -- got that), and go...
>
> However it isn't working.  Does anyone have a pointer?

Also configure "no exec" and "transport input telnet".  You also might
want "session timeout 30" or similar so that the port doesn't get wedged
if you lose connectivity to the router.

Then telnet to the router, port 2001 usually, but in reality 2001 +
number of async lines that the chassis may have.  Do a "show line" and
add 2000 to the line number to the left of "AUX".

You should now see the console of the unit connected to the router's AUX
port.

Also Google "reverse telnet" if this isn't sufficient to get you going.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net