[c-nsp] broadcast storm control - linked to int or negotiated speed?

Stephen Wilcox steve.wilcox at packetrade.com
Thu Aug 2 15:24:06 EDT 2007

Hi Christian,
 a quick test says its the negotiated speed, which is what you would expect.

The exact mechanism its worked out with tho is a bit of voodoo.

Firstly I know they use a 1 or 2 second average which means it catches spikes that your interface counter will never see and that arent probably harmful.

Heres what I get, see if you can figure how they work that % out :)

FastEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 18/255, rxload 18/255
  Half-duplex, 10Mb/s
  30 second input rate 722000 bits/sec, 91 packets/sec
  30 second output rate 723000 bits/sec, 94 packets/sec

Interface  Filter State   Trap State     Upper    Lower    Current  Traps Sent
Fa0/1      Forwarding     inactive       15.00%    5.00%    9.21%           0