[c-nsp] dCEF Problem

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 01:09:21 EDT 2007

Jon Lewis wrote:
>> My VIP2-50 has 32MB of DRAM and 4MB SRAM.  Does this need to be
>> upgraded?  The RSP2 has 128MB DRAM and is running IOS 12.4(1a).
>
> if-con into that vip with dCEF off, and do a show mem.  I bet with 12.4
> IOS, 32mb is barely enough to boot up.

I checked, and you're right.  There's about 512kB left after boot.

> If you bought these things recently, you need to take them back to
> whoever sold them to you, hit them over the head with the cards, and ask
> for your lunch money back.  If these have been sitting around and just
> put in service, you really need some upgrades.  RSP4 and vip2-50s with
> 128MB RAM should be dirt cheap.

I'm having trouble finding an RSP4 cheap.  Also, I used to see 128/8
upgrades for VIP2-50s on ebay all the time, but I don't see any on there
now.  Maybe supplies are starting to dry up.

> Oh, and don't the cisco guys on-list keep telling us the 7500 is the
> wrong platform for PPP over anything but T1 and similar circuits?

I'm running one PPPoE.  I'm not terminating a bunch of customer ADSL.

Peace...  Sridhar