[c-nsp] configuration issue with "dial backup with object tracking"

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Aug 6 10:12:31 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have a question regarding "reliable static routing backup using object
tracking" - see this URL

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feature_guide09186a00801d862d.html

basically this stuff ("ip sla" plus "track") does what we want.

What I can't seem to find a way to configure is:

  - only switch state in the track object if <x> consecutive pings fail

(like "ping every 5 seconds, fail over if 3 pings go unanswered").

We plan to do this on SDSL lines, and depending on line usage and
oversubscription in the carrier network, occasional packet loss isn't
unheard-of - so we would really like to avoid initiating an ISDN dial-up
every time a single ping gets lost...

Is this just not there, or am I overlooking something?

(We are currently using ipIcmpEcho probes, but could set up an responder
on the other side and run other IP SLA protocols if that helps)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de