[c-nsp] DHCP Server

Eimantas Zdanevičius eimantas at occ.lt
Fri Aug 10 06:20:15 EDT 2007

Hello,

What are the best practices using DHCP server? What platform to use:
cisco or linux?

Currently we using cisco 3825 router as DHCP server for entire network
users. When user is connected to cisco switch, we use DHCP option 82 to
give him static IP address. When user is connected to other switch, the
MAC address is specified to know what IP address give to user. But there
is bad situation when user has Windows and Linux on the same PC, cisco
DHCP server can't give the same IP address for Linux and Windows.

DHCP server is used to simplife users life. Static IP address is given
for traffic monitoring for every user.

There is another problem using DHCP server. It takes a long time to get
IP address from DHCP server.

What can we do?

Thanks.

--