[c-nsp] Network going really slowly

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Sun Aug 19 22:35:26 EDT 2007

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> I have a 7505 with an RSP2 running IOS 12.4.  One of the boards is a
> VIP2-50, and on that board is a PA-FE-TX and a PA-4E.  The PA-FE-TX is
> attached to my routed public network, and one of the ports on the PA-4E
> is attached to my NATed private one.

So you've got one side at 10Mbps...

> Moreover, an SFTP file transfer moving a file from a machine on the
> public network to a machine on the private network only transfers at
> about 150KB/s.
150KBytes/sec = 1.2Mbps...

I also noticed:

> interface Ethernet2/1/1
>   ip address 172.22.22.1 255.255.255.0
>   ip nat inside
>   ip virtual-reassembly
>   full-duplex

You've set the 10Mbps interface to full-duplex.  What is on the other
end?  10Mbps devices are typically half-duplex.  If you have a duplex
mismatch that would certainly slow down the transfers.  Check error
rates on both sides of that link.

Jeff