[c-nsp] IP Q-in-Q Termination

J Springer js at jspringer.net
Mon Aug 20 13:01:38 EDT 2007

We are testing Q-in-Q termination with a 3660 router running 12.4(13c).

Config snippet:

interface FastEthernet0/1.14
  encapsulation dot1Q 14 second-dot1q 33,66,99
  ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

Monitoring traffic in both directions indicates that the inner and outer Vlan
tags are transitting to the router but the router only sends back traffic on the
first configured inner Vlan tag.

We would like to do (this doesn't work either):

interface FastEthernet0/1.14
  encapsulation dot1Q 14 second-dot1q 1-4094
  ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

And I'd ultimately like to put this in a 7500.

Does this IOS support multiple inner Vlan tags?   And, is this configurable on
3660 and 7500s?

believed to be clean.