[c-nsp] UDLD vs Auto-neg

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 20:50:24 EDT 2007

Okay, now it makes sense:

"A unidirectional link occurs whenever traffic transmitted by the
local device over a link is received by the neighbor but traffic
transmitted from the neighbor is not received by the local device. If
one of the fiber strands in a pair is disconnected, as long as
autonegotiation is active, the link does not stay up. In this case,
the logical link is undetermined, and UDLD does not take any action.
If both fibers are working normally at Layer 1, then UDLD at Layer 2
determines whether those fibers are connected correctly and whether
traffic is flowing bidirectionally between the correct neighbors. This
check cannot be performed by autonegotiation, because autonegotiation
operates at Layer 1."