[c-nsp] Strange problem w/ 3560 and Linksys Switch

Garry garry at glendown.de
Thu Aug 23 07:26:45 EDT 2007

I've come across a strange problem at a customer site ... maybe somebody
has an idea ... I'm more or less out of them ...

OK, base setup is a ring of three switches, two are 3560G, one is a
Linksys SRW2024. The Ciscos are connected via a GigE Port channel w/ 2
copper links, the Linksys is connected to one fiber port on each 3560.
Spanning tree is working fine, one Cisco has set its connection to block
(referenced as switch "B")

What seems to happen is that I can't get any broadcast/multicast packets
through the active Cisco switch ... when I do a ping to any device
connected to the Linksys from switch A, everything is fine. Doing the
same from Switch B fails, unless it can first learn the MAC address by
seeing a packet from that device.

I've done a tcpdump on a linux box hooked up to the linksys, I do not
see any ARP requests generated by Switch B.

What could be causing this? The fiber links are configured as trunk
ports on both Ciscos, and the appropriate VLANs are assigned on the
Linksys side. I've also set the Linksys fiber ports to "multiple hosts",
though the checking shouldn't even be on to begin with ...

Anybody have an idea what could be causing this behavior?

Thanks!!!

-gg