[c-nsp] EIGRP as core routing protocol on MPLS network

Kris Price cisco-nsp at punk.co.nz
Fri Aug 24 07:42:28 EDT 2007

Hi,

I've been trying to find out the implications of using EIGRP to
distribute the loopbacks for a BGP/MPLS network instead of the usual
OSPF or ISIS. But either it isn't a very well covered topic or my
Google-foo is seriously bad.

I've lab'ed it up in a very simple environment and for typical Layer 3
BGP/MPLS VPN applications everything seems to work fine as expected, LDP
continues distributing labels, and VPN packets are label switched across
the network.

However, I assume the caveats are around using features that use
OSPF/ISIS for transporting additional information or for signalling,
e.g. perhaps taffic engineering info.

Given there is no information on this on Google I guess it isn't
supported and the recommendation is simply "don't do it".

But I'm curious, so has anyone done this in a production environment for
any reason, or has anything enlightening to say on the matter?

Cheers
Kris

PS: before anyone asks "Why on earth would you want to do that!?" I
don't particularly, but I'd like to know about it for arguments sake.