[c-nsp] C3750 SDM prefer questions

Mihai Tanasescu mihai at duras.ro
Sun Aug 26 05:00:36 EDT 2007

Hello,

I've been using for some time now the desktop default SDM template for a
stack of 2 x C3750 switches that I have and I'm having some questions
after digging up some info about them.

First of all the show sdm prefer command displays:

 number of unicast mac addresses:                  6K
 number of IPv4 unicast routes:                    8K
    number of directly-connected IPv4 hosts:        6K
    number of indirect IPv4 routes:                 2K

On this switch I have each port with an switchport access vlan <number>
and a /25 or /26 on each VLAN making it a routed interface.

1) What does "directly-connected IPv4 hosts" mean ? (If I have a /26 on
a SVI, then does it consume 64 hosts or is it considered as only one
entry = one connected route in the SDM cache)

2) If both stack switches are set to the desktop SDM template...does
this mean that each switch can hold:

6K directly-connected IPv4 hosts
6K mac addresses (static+dynamic)
and 2 K indirect IPv4 routes

or is it a global limit for the whole stack (not a separate one for
every switch)

Please help me clarify this, as I'm getting a bit confused.

Thanks,
Mihai