[c-nsp] eBGP Peer with non-bgp transit router in the middle

Stephen Wilcox steve.wilcox at packetrade.com
Tue Aug 28 07:07:41 EDT 2007

Hi William,
 you cant have a router in the middle with less routing information than the routers at the edge because as you say it doesnt know where to send the traffic.

If you dont want/cant run BGP on the transit router then a viable alternative would be to have the transit router have a default to AS-Z-BGP-Router (either static or IGP) then have the transit router learn the routes from AS-Y

Personally, I would run BGP on the transit router and peer directly with AS-Y and drop the multihop config you suggested. Then the transit router can run iBGP with AS-Z-BGP-Router and you can set a route-map on AS-Z-BGP-Router to not announce any prefixes other than a default towards the transit router.

Steve