[c-nsp] SNMPv3 support on CatOS and IOS 12.0

Nicolas DEFFAYET nicolas-ml at deffayet.com
Sat Dec 1 10:19:14 EST 2007

Hello,

I try to use SNMPv3 on CatOS without success.

I use the following configuration:
set snmp user snmpuser authentication md5 <password> privacy <password>
set snmp group readonly user snmpuser security-model v3
set snmp access readonly security-model v3 privacy read defaultAdminView

When i try snmpwalk, i get:
Error in packet.
Reason: authorizationError (access denied to that object)
Failed object: SNMPv2-SMI::mib-

Google and the Cisco documentation don't help.
Anyone using SNMPv3 with success on CatOS can send me the 'set snmp'
lines used ?

On a WS-C3508G-XL running 12.0(5)WC17, i have configured the group with
success by using: 'snmp-server group readonly v3 auth read readview'
but i can't setup SNMPv3 user using 'snmp-server user snmpuser readonly
v3 auth md5 <password>', the command don't exist in the CLI:

Switch(config)#snmp-server ?
  trap-timeout      Set timeout for TRAP message retransmissions
  view              Define an SNMPv2 MIB view

Anyone use SNMPv3 on switch running 12.0(5) ?

Thank you !

Best Regards,

--
Nicolas DEFFAYET