[c-nsp] router and transparent bridging help needed.

Aaron ml at proficuous.com
Mon Dec 3 14:31:07 EST 2007

> ISP|unknown router|serial(Frame)|address 1.2.3.4
>                    ______|_______
>                         wic-1t
>                 some cisco router
>                        ethernet1.2.3.5
> ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1 <--this should send all you LAN
> traffic to INT RTR/FW
>                  ---------|-------------
>                     10.0.0.1eth0
>               internal router/firewall
> or
> u could use a secondary address on router's ethernet1
>  interface Ethernet1
>  ip address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0 secondary <--puts router interface in
> same network as INT RTR/FW
>  ip address 1.2.3.5 (subnet mask)
>
>                  ---------|-------------
>                     10.0.0.1eth0
>               internal router/firewall
>
> hope this is what you want.

Thanks Brad, but this is what I was hoping to avoid.  as I indicated
before, I was hoping the cisco in the middle would be transparent (like a
hub or switch).  Part of the reasoning is I want to have to worry as
little as possible with ios vulnerabilities/patches etc.  If the cisco is
not doing routing and doesn't have an IP and can't be connected to via
tcp, the less I'll have to worry about the aforementioned.

Is making the cisco transparent with frame a possibility?  Anyone?

Also, I'm still not sure what hardware I should be looking at.  Will a
cisco 1600 suffice?  does it matter if it's a 1601, 1602, 1604?

Thanks again.

Aaron