[c-nsp] router and transparent bridging help needed.

Bruce Pinsky bep at whack.org
Mon Dec 3 16:30:27 EST 2007

Aaron wrote:
> I have run into a situation where i need to bridge my incoming
> frame-relay t1 directly to an internal router's ethernet interface.
>
> I have no practical experience with cisco so i'm hoping the list can
> give me some pointers and suggestions and ideally i'll only get 2nd
> degree burns from the flames.
>
> The situation as i need it is as such:..
> My isp has a ptp address of 1.2.3.4 and my assigned address is 1.2.3.5
> (ips sanitized of course).  I want to pass the 1.2.3.5 address directly
> through to my internal router eth0 interface. (sorry in adv. for the
> crappy ascii art)
>
> ISP|unknown router|serial(Frame)|address 1.2.3.4
>                    ______|_______
>                         wic-1t
>                 some cisco router
>                        ethernet
>                  ---------|-------------
>                     1.2.3.5eth0
>               internal router/firewall
>
> I have seen some examples but honestly i'm not even sure what hardware I
> should be looking at.  The example from the archives
> http://marc.info/?l=cisco-nsp&m=115982463524342&w=2 was talking about a
> cisco 1601, but that was a ppp based connection.
>
> Another thread i found http://marc.info/?t=118667690000005&r=1&w=2
> talked about a frame connection but then they were using a 2600 and the
> replies seemed a little mixed as one guy said he should switch to ppp in
> half-bridging and someone else replied about something called IRB
> approach.  I'm not sure if switching to ppp is an option here so I'd
> like to concentrate on frame.
>
> I don' need/want  routing, blocking, natting at all to happen on the cisco,
> essentially I want it to act like a hub/switch connected to my internal
> firewall/router.
>
> The reasoning behind this is, and please correct me if i'm wrong, I want
> as simple and worry free a setup on the cisco as possible.  After
> configuring it I won't be fiddling with configs unless something were to
> break.  My internal router will do all the natting/firewalling and
> routing, and i am confident when configuring that.  I believe the ability
> on the OS is much more important than the OS.  I will not need to connect
> to the cisco via tcp at all, all connects will be via the management
> console.
>
> Any suggestions on hardware (less expensive the better), IOS version
> i'll need and probably most importantly, config suggestions, example or
> link to pertinent material(i'm willing to learn to fish) would be most
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

What you want is local switching of layer 2, but I don't think there is
support for frame-relay to ethernet switching.

Your other possibility would be PPP half-bridge but not sure if you can do
PPP half-bridge over a frame relay connection or not.

Wouldn't it be simpler to add a serial interface to the internal
router/firewall?

- --
=========
bep