[c-nsp] Policing Question

Paolo Lucente pl+list at pmacct.net
Tue Dec 4 05:51:57 EST 2007

Hi Bill,

1)

i would recommend you to police ingress traffic from the customer
and shape egress traffic to the customer. This gives you several
benefits including ease of configuration your side (limited to the
6509 box only) and smooth congestion management.

If it's an un-managed CE solution advice your customer he has to
shape egress traffic on his CPE. This is to avoid TCP traffic from
performing very badly when hitting your policer.

2)

I believe it's the shaping Tc value you are referring to - but your
question is about policing. I would point the following two values:
Bc = (CIR/8)*1.5 = 786000; Be = 2*Bc = 1572000. This is basing on a
4 Mbps CIR. Remember Bc/Be are expressed in bytes. Moreover because
you want them to be able to burst beyond their CIR, you don't want
the "exceed-action drop" action there. You can simply replace it
with a "transmit" to make it working - but it wouldn't really have
sense: you want to mark the excess burst to be able to handle it
differently in periods of congestion.

3)

If i understood correctly the etherchannel is a backbone link (P-P)
so the question doesn't reaply apply. Btw, as far as i'm aware there
shouldn't be any problems.

Cheers,
Paolo