[c-nsp] Wireless opinions - light or standalone?

jacob c jctx09 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 12:54:42 EST 2007

Hello,

  It's been about 2 years since I've done any wireless implementations and I'm trying to get myself up to par again. Any recommendation on the following situations would be appreciated.

  Up to 8 sites comprised of small offices and warehouse. Probaby 8 access points per location. In this situation, what is preferred nowadays, the Ligthweight APs or the traditional standalone access points which is what I'm used to? I know the lightweight APs will require a controller while a mgmt.station is optional with the standalone APs.

  Any experience with Cisco APs in comparison to the HP 420s?

  Also, do any of these models have the ability to act as a 802.1x supplicant on behalf of the client for situations where clients don't have a client installed.  I know the HP 420s APs can present a web browser to the client for authentication if an actual client package isn't installed on the node itself.

  Thanks,