[c-nsp] Replacement for HSRP

Scott Granados gsgranados at comcast.net
Thu Dec 6 11:35:54 EST 2007

This might be like fly swatting with sledge hammers but how about BGP in
this situation?

Depending on your network addressing particulars and your ISP you could do
something like have each router set up an IGP session between them over a
common gig interface, then one gig out of each router to your ISP and then
tune as needed.  If memory is a concern simply have defaults sent to you and
should one link fail the route should withdraw automatically.  (as well as
your announcement)  If you're speaking to the same ISP on both loops you
could use a private AS.  I might be way way off here but to me this
shouldn't require any custom scripting or hack work arounds but I may not be
understanding your setup fully.

Hope this helps.