[c-nsp] How to easily and securely pull configuration from a PIX/ASA

Thorsten Dahm t.dahm at resolution.de
Thu Dec 6 16:03:39 EST 2007

Marc Haber wrote:
 > On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 12:48:19AM +0000, Thorsten Dahm wrote:
 >> Marc Haber schrieb:
 >>> I am wondering what's the easiest way to pull the full configuration
 >>> (sans passwords/keys, if that makes things any easier) from a PIX or
 >>> ASA box.
 >> Use RANCID over SSH. If necessary you can change the RANCID scripts to
 >> work as you want.
 >
 > The site already has a management tool in place, and they want just
 > the config pulled independently and securely, without deploying more
 > software.

Why not using the clogin-script from RANCID without the rest of the
tool. The alternate would be to write a script by your own. If you want
to do that: ping me, I have already a script which should do the trick ;-)

 >  And, they have a decidedly anti-open-source stance :-(

No worries, if I'm forced to I'll accept a high amount of money for my
"PIX-Tool". :)

 > Which access privileges would RANCID need, and how far can the RANCID
 > account be restricted?

The same as any user who is able to to a "sh run".

 > The administrators of the boxes are not very
 > keen on handing out unrestricted privilege 15 accounts to automated
 > processes.

They may can restrict the user to the "sh run" command only.

cheers,
Thorsten