[c-nsp] MTBF for Cisco products

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Sat Dec 8 09:58:46 EST 2007

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>> jay at west.net skrev man, 03 dec 2007:
>>> Actually, hardware failures generally follow a "bathtub curve", almost
>>> an inverse bell curve.  There is a certain amount of infant mortality
>>> where substandard parts will fail immediately or shortly after
>>> installation, bad connections and other mechanical and assembly issues
>>> are discovered or fail in transit, etc.  Then relatively few failures
>>> for a long time, and then a gradual ramping up of failures as things
>>> wear out, capacitors dry up, etc.
>> I think you both agree with each other. The "Bell curve" would
>> describe the age of the devices
>
> (age of device when it fails)

Actually, my point was that it is not a bell curve plotting the age of
the device when it fails.

The "bathtub curve" commonly used do describe equipment failures with
time on the Y axis and number of failures on the X axis starts out
relatively high with infant mortality, then drops to a low value
rapidly, and then climbs after a length of time as components wear out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net