[c-nsp] default route behavoir

Matlock, Kenneth L MatlockK at exempla.org
Tue Dec 11 18:10:34 EST 2007

Currently both routes are equal cost, so the first packet (or flow,
can't remember which off the top of my head) takes the first route, and
the next packet (or flow) takes the 2nd route, and the 3rd packet (or
flow) takes the 1st route, etc.

In order to do it, you can change the metric on the non-preferred route
so it's only used if the other route is unavailable.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.50.6.2
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.50.5.24 2

now, keep in mind that the switch will only determine that 10.50.6.2 is
down if the interface that 10.50.6.2 is connected changes state to down.
If the state doesn't change, that route's still valid even if 10.50.6.2
is no longer responding.

In order to solve that, you need to run a dynamic protocol between this
3560 and the upstream routers/switches. (I don't know off the top of my
head if/what the 3560 supports).

Ken Matlock
Network Analyst
(303) 467-4671