[c-nsp] route table lookup on leaking between vrfs

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 15:21:34 EST 2007

On 12/12/2007, Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) <oboehmer at cisco.com> wrote:

{cut}

> > In non-vrf situation I would use next-hop-self before advertising the
> > /16 to all the other peers, that would force the lookup on the router
> > that knows about the /24s. Is there a way to do this lookup when the
> > routes are leaked between vrfs?
>
> No, this is not possible unless you are creating an aggregate on a PE
> somewhere (which would set the next-hop accordingly and allocate an
> aggregate label to do the 2nd lookup). Why don't you just import the /24
> into the Server vrf as well? you could use communities to tag them and
> not advertise them beyond the PEs if you worry about it.

Sounds like a good plan. In fact we have much more then a bunch of
routes (currently there are about 3k prefixes) and we try to simplify
that. Do we need to do anything more then the simple aggregate-address
statement for the the /16 in the Internal vrf?

Since the whole setup is a bit like hub-and-spoke (there is one main
hub and a few smaller ones, but great majority of data flows through
the main hub) can I originate default into that vrf and simplify the
routing even more (this way the main hub would attract all of the
traffic that doesn't have a more specific route)? The slight problem
might be that the hub currently has a default already (it's filtered
out on all of the minor hubs and spokes, as only the directly
connected devices need it).

thx for your help.

regards
Pshem