[c-nsp] Access Point & 2 SSID's Trunked to Vlan's

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Dec 18 09:17:07 EST 2007

Hi,

> If I copy this configuration to my other ap's in the building will a
> client(notebook) automatically roam from ap to ap without getting
> disconnected?

not without using other technologies - as each AP runs the authentication
so your client needs to reauthenticate when associating with each AP

> Do you have 802.11a clients or is the 802.11a radio used for something else?
> How would I setup the AP so there is a minimum signal level that is
> allowed?  eg, if a user is outside the building and still connected that it
> won't work if the users device is say past -75db...

you can start off by using the 'speed' command to select the supported
connection rates - but a decent antennae may negate the 'security' of
such a setup. personally i feel that WPA2 is strong enough that it doesnt
matter if the signal can be received from further away. you could also
turn down the power of the antennae (antenna gain) - but, once again, that
will affect how your own users will receive the wireless.  place
a decent zinc/neodynium mesh or somesuch in your wall cavities - there
are some papers out there describing such blocking methods.

> Also, I accidentally ordered LWAPP's and I have converted them back to
> autonomous ap's.  Is there any difference between a converted one vs a
> bought autonomous ap?

apart from how it appears in CDP, inventory lists and its bootloader?
no functional difference as far as i'm aware.

alan