[c-nsp] Access Point & 2 SSID's Trunked to Vlan's

Kaj Niemi kajtzu at basen.net
Tue Dec 18 16:08:41 EST 2007

Hi,

On Dec 18, 2007, at 22:56, Dan Letkeman wrote:

> Well I just did a test two AP's about 100 feet apart and the
> notebook roamed
> from one AP to the other without losing a ping.  We are interested in
> putting in a voip system and possibly having a few wireless phones.
> Will
> this configuration of an access point cause calls to be dropped?

What kind of encryption and authentication are you using? In my
experience associating between access points works fine using open
(time taken to reassociate to another isn't really noticeable) but
will not work reliably with WPA2 EAP TTLS due to the amount of time it
takes to reauthenticate. Using WDS will help in that case. I tried
this out with Nokia E61(i) and E90 terminals and AP1130s late in the
summer.

As to your question; using open, calls are probably not going to be
dropped but you might lose some frames when reassociating :) Using
WPA2 EAP and all the nice things for OTA encryption needs some thought
before implementing.

HTH

Kaj
--