[c-nsp] Something like MTR, but forced path

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Wed Dec 19 08:38:03 EST 2007

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 09:01:50PM -0500, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
> > I'm basically looking for something I can run on Unix and
> > give me a curses view of IPs I give it to ping at the same time.
>
> You could use Mon:
>
>   http://mon.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

	(Info deleted for brevity)

> > Curses MTR bolds the lettering when it has a ping loss which I want
> > to catch my eye.
>
> In my shop, we have Mon set to write to our terminals when it has
> something important to tell us.
>
> > As an FYI, the problem I have is I'm having connection losses between my
> > site and the wireless WISP's gateway. I think the packet is getting to the
> > backhaul link at the site here, but not to the other end of the backhaul here.
> > I want to run a set of pings [...]
>
> That sounds like a job for Smokeping:
>
>   http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/

	(Info deleted for brevity)

> > I want something formalized since sending pings that just show
> > a loss somewhere in the middle don't mean anything.
>
> I've done that with Smokeping - tell Smokeping to ping everything in
> a particular path.  Lining up the resulting graphs with records of
> service outages is usually very informative.

	I appreciate your reply.

	I actually have smokeping running on both ends, but I'm looking
for something that can run in an xterm while I'm writing email and I
can see it actually pinging live. The others are snapshots of the
network, not real time. If it pings every 5 minutes, for 20 seconds,
and the next 270 seconds the network is down, then comes back, the
utilities are going to show 100% up. Unless the intermittent
issue happens during the polling cycle, we won't see it. I'm running
into the problem of the WISP seeing the graphing show 100% up, while
I'm sitting here with 64 second chunks of network disappearing. I
also can't prove its ONLY my site happening, since I am only at this
one site. I wanted something that I could leave running in a "screen"
on one of his DD-WRT installed Buffalo (SIGH... That lawsuit sucks)
routers.

		Thanks, Tuc