[c-nsp] Real brief question

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Wed Dec 19 12:19:21 EST 2007

                Howdy.

We have a 6509 which has two Sup720s for whatever reason when we began using the 6500 we decided to use the Gig-E connections on the Supervisor 720 as the uplink for the switch to the rest of the network, it has worked fine. We noticed that we had both of the uplinks to the network connected via the Supervisor in slot 5. So we decided in the spirit of redundancy that we would move one of the links to slot 6/1 and leave one of them in slot 5/1. All we did was simply shut 5/1, copy the config from 5/1 to 6/1, move the cable from 5/1 to 6/1 unshut 6/1 and modified the ospf configuration to make 6/1 non-passive instead of 5/1.

Everything pretty much worked fine.. OSPF came up all was well, I noticed that when I was trying to manage the switch via the ip address assigned to 6/1 it was slow, I began the normal ping tests,... losing lots of packets.. began looking at interface statistics... no errors, etc etc.. the link in G5/2 still works great....

My question is

Are you "not able" to use the interfaces on a "standby" Supervisor 720 if you are in SSO mode?

Thanks,
-Drew