[c-nsp] securing a vrrp setup

Fri Dec 28 05:45:29 EST 2007

Hi Gert,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

    When I read questions like this, I always wonder "yes, someone could
    do this, but for what goal?".

Sorry if the first email wasn't very specific.
What I'm looking at is securing a VRRP setup within a LAN, and not in a
WAN envrionment.

What I'm worried about is that by adding a rogue router to the network,
an attacker would be able to direct traffic through the rogue router,
thus effectively being able to execute man-in-the-middle attacks, or at
the very least, sniff packets off the wire. I understand that
implementing some form of NAC would be able to stop the rogue router
however due to prohibitively high costs of implementing NAC, I would
like to seek other solutions to this problem.

Thanks once again for your kind reply and hopefully this makes the
situation a little clearer.

--
bangky