[c-nsp] electric consumption

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Thu Feb 1 15:26:45 EST 2007

Ian,

I would find this to be of great interest.  It would be nice to have a
single concise (or not so concise) location for all power-related specs
across the entire Cisco product line for both AC and DC.  I'm moving an
ISP to a different location in a building in the very near future.  I'm
dumping all our remaining AC PSUs (all that I technically can) and
switching to DC.  I have found that the product data sheets often don't
have this data or the data is obscure and hard to find.  I often have to
refer to install guides to find this info.  In many cases the data
sheet, install guide, and the sticker on the PSU don't agree on the max
consumption.  I would love to have a complete power guide for all of
Cisco's products.  It would also be helpful to know the average load so
that I have a feel for what I can get by with temporarily in a pinch.

On a slightly different topic I'd like to see Cisco compose a Power Best
Practices document.  I'd like to have something to fall back on when I
tell a customer to use 220v on their 6500 even though they can squeak by
with the quad-110v plugs based on their immediate load.  I'd like to be
able to graphically show a customer why a RPS isn't the silver bullet
they think it is.  I'd like to be able to show a enterprise customer why
they need per-row power distribution cabinets instead of attempting to
pull individual drops from a standard wall-mount panel.  Best practice
documentation on power redundancy for large chassis (do we really need
A, B, and C power sources for a PWR-4000DC on a 7600?).  There are a
plethora of power documentation that Cisco could put together that would
greatly benefit all of us.  So, could you have that ready next week?  :-)

Thanks
 Justin