[c-nsp] Changing shorthand in an ip route statement

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Thu Feb 1 22:26:19 EST 2007

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	I have a line on my router :
>
> ip route 172.16.3.0 255.255.255.0 Tunnel0
>

> 	I'd like to change it to something that
> doesn't use the "Tunnel0" as a destination.

Why?

This route is tied to the tunnel. If the tunnel goes down, the route is
no longer active. This is normally considered a good thing and allows
for failover for alternate paths.

If you used it with an IP address that was on the other side of the
tunnel, that would need to be in the routing table as such, maybe due to
the address being "connected" to the tunnel (CEF recursive routing).

On the other hand, without the interface in the route, recursive routing
could give you a somewhat unexpected result.