[c-nsp] QOS advice

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Sun Feb 4 05:34:21 EST 2007

> What would be the best solution regarding resource
> utilization on C2950, C3550, C4500 for some sort of QOS to be
implemented ?
> I'm quite afraid that in case the traffic on the C3550 gbit
> links will go beyond the present 100Mbps, some packet loss might
appear
> due to the CPU utilization for QOS assurance on those links.
> Unfortunately I have no lab yet to test the setup and see how it goes.

The platforms you mentioned do QoS in hardware, so no need to worry
about higher CPU utilization.
Take a look at the "Enterprise QoS Solution Reference Network Design
Guide Version 3.3" linked off www.cisco.com/go/srnd, its QoS Design
chapter covers all the platforms you're interested in. I guess a QoS
policy for your case can be as simple as putting all the voice traffic
into a low-latency queue (priority queue).

	oli