[c-nsp] RFC 3623 OSPF Graceful Restart question

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Mon Feb 5 03:30:17 EST 2007

I have read over Cisco Nonstop Forwarding with Stateful Switchover
Deployment Guide:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6550/products_white_paper0900aecd801dc5e2.shtml

I see it states:
"The current standard for OSPF Hitless Restart is RFC 3623 Graceful OSPF
Restart. Cisco provides a configuration option for support of RFC 3623 or
for the Cisco draft version. See
<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a00805e8fbd.html>
The current standard for OSPF Hitless Restart is RFC 3623 Graceful OSPF
Restart. The Cisco implementation is currently (at the time of this
writing) not interoperable with RFC 3623."

and from:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a00805e8fbd.html
and I see the option "nsf ietf" and I see the versions of IOS that support
it but is it *fully* compatible to RFC3623 or not?  The Cisco Nonstop
Forwarding with Stateful Switchover Deployment Guide from Aug 2006 states
it is not interoperable and RFC4167 gives no support either.

Thanks,
Hank