[c-nsp] Cisco RPS

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Tue Feb 6 10:49:29 EST 2007

Ian MacKinnon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a Cisco RPS 600W, which according the manual will connect to 3550
> switches.
> Can it also work for 3560?
> The 3560 installation guide says use the 675W model
> The 3560 I have are not PEO models and only 24 port

The two units are completely different; the 675 is a small 1U single AC
device that can only provide power to one of its six outputs at a time.
The RPS connectors are also physically incompatible.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_data_sheet09186a0080150e31.html

It also has a nasty "feature" of not letting the connected device fall
back to its internal power supply, so you can't use it to provide dual
AC inputs and run a device from RPS-only like you can with the 600.
(Although someone said if you pull the plug on it rather than press the
button on the front that it will, but I haven't tried that with mine.)
It's purely a standby power source.

sethm at rollernet.us
Ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito