[c-nsp] Cosmetic bug or unsupported NPE?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Feb 8 05:43:43 EST 2007

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 01:50:23AM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> I really have to object to this FUD,
>
> I run 2 NPE300's in 7206VXR's, 2 uplinks and ibgp and getting full table
>
> Here's output on ios 12.2.32:

That's not 12.2*S* - 12.2 main has less memory impact, because it has the
old CEF code (and no MPLS, no IPv6, and whatever else people might want).

[..]
> The global BGP table rises in size but not as fast as is made out to be.
> TheEOL on NPE300 is a marketing issue for Cisco it was not made due to 256mb
> being inadequate for the global bgp table.

Now that's a completely different story, though.  And I agree that it's
annoying - that they stopped selling it is fine, but stopping IOS support
*right in the middle of a train* isn't something we appreciate.

> Choose to stop using NPE300 and spend money on the newer CPU if you wish,
> maybe you can scare your boss who doesen't know how to query a router.  But
> before spewing more FUD let's have some real, not forged, output from your
> router that's showing your near running out of ram because I certainly am

NPE-225 with 12.2(18)S, reduced IPv4 BGP table (200k prefixes), full
IPv6 table (about 700 prefixes), no MPLS, no turbo ACLs, runs at about
15-20 Mb free memory.

12.2(25)S needs about 20-30 Mb more memory, due to the new CEF implementation.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de