[c-nsp] 6500 MLS

Yuri Selivanov uri at tomsknet.ru
Thu Feb 8 08:21:07 EST 2007

	Hi.

> I've some questions on MLS on 6500 IOS routers.
> 1) Any one has a good reference on how MLS works and when and how it
> should be tuned,...
>    The docs i found on the cisco website mostly refer to a setup with a
> sup/1 board and an older

	Sup1A w/MSFC(1|2) and PFC (EARL5) utilizes classical MLS
(first packet of the flow  are always processed by control plane,
then shortcut is created and subsequent packets are h/w switched
by PFC).

>    version of IOS. We have Sup/2 and SUP32 in our 6500 and are running
> 12.2SX.

	These sups are based on next-generation PFC2/3B and
performs h/w-based CEF-switching. So there's no MLS here
and you should deal with MLS CEF:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080160a8f.html

> 2) we have 3 routers on 3 campus, each serving about 40 subnets, just
> static routing,
>    no Qos or multicast requirements (for the moment). Is there any
> reason we should want
>    to change the default mls parameter settings ?

	Default values are pretty OK.

> Greetings,
>
> Wim Holemans
> Network Services