[c-nsp] IPv6 on MSFC2

Church, Chuck cchurch at multimax.com
Thu Feb 8 12:22:33 EST 2007

Anyone,

    I understand that IPv6 is done in software on the MSFC2 on a Sup2.
I've read that the forwarding performance is about 500,000 pps for
software-switched CEF packets on this MSFC, and about 20,000 for process
switched.  Anyone have an idea if IPv6 is done in CEF on this module?
If so, does that 500,000 pps number seem realistic?  Assuming no
features like NAT, QoS, ACLs, etc.  We've got several hundred of these
in place for WAN connectivity, everything from DS-3 to OC-3 in FlexWANs,
and some OSMs doing POS OC-12.  Almost all are just one WAN link, with
ethernet connectivity down from there.  I'm thinking that the Sup2 will
probably work for speeds up to OC-3, but want to make sure.

Thanks,

Chuck