[c-nsp] GigE Limits - PPPOE

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Sat Feb 10 16:35:26 EST 2007

Hi there... I'm trying to figure out if there's any limits I should be
concerned about on a 7206VXR GigE port serving PPPOE customers? I posted a
message the other day regarding a problem between an Occam DSLAM and 7206VXR
where after X number of customers, the customer started having problems
getting authenticated.  We downgraded from 12.4.x back to the latest 12.3.x
release and no difference.... Occam feels this is a Cisco problem and I
disagree at this point...

The port is pushing 5-8 Mb/s with no errors, CPU at 20% (serves other
customers via OC-3) and there's lots of IP addresses free etc.... Only
unique thing for these particular customers is they are the only customers
being served via pure ethernet....

Any MAC address limits or PPPOE session limits normally?  I figured we'd max
out CPU or other resources long before having to worry about any other
limits so just asking the question...;)

Thanks in advance,

Paul Stewart
Network Administrator